Dr. Kostadinov is the Director of Perinatal Pathology at Magee Women's Hospital of UPMC.
- American Board of Pathology, Anatomic Pathology
- American Board of Pathology, Pediatric Pathology
Dr. Kostadinov is a pediatric pathologist who specializes in perinatal (placental /fetal/obstetric) pathology. Dr Kostadinov obtained his medical education in Bulgaria and practiced as a general pediatrician for two years there. After coming to the United States he completed four-year residency training in anatomic and clinical pathology and a year of fellowship in pediatric pathology. Following his training in 2004 Dr. Kostadinov joined Alpert Medical School at Brown University as an Assistant Professor in pathology and the Division of Perinatal and Pediatric Pathology at Women & Infants Hospital in Providence Rhode Island as a staff perinatal pathologist. In 2018, Dr. Kostadinov was recruited as the Director of Perinatal pathology at Magee Women's Hospital of UPMC.
Dr. Kostadinov's research interests are in the field of placental pathology and its clinical correlates.
- Kostadinov S, Robbins KA, Hayward A. Abnormal TREC-Based Newborn Screening Test in a Premature Neonate with Massive Perivillous Fibrin Deposition of the Placenta. Case Reports Immunol. 2016; 2016:5083274. PMID: 27403355.
- Kostadinov S, Shapiro S. Unusual Case of Amniotic Band Sequence. Int J Surg Pathol. 2017 Aug; 25(5):430. PMID: 27881611.
- Kostadinov S, DeLaMonte S. A Case of Congenital Brainstem Oligodendroglioma - Pathology Findings and Review of the Literature. Case Rep Neurol Med. 2017;2017:2465681. PMID: 28815096.
- Khedr S, Jazaerly T, Kostadinov S. Placental Teratoma, Omphalomesentric Duct Remnant or Intestinal Organoid (Enteroid) Differentiation: A Diagnostic Dilemma. J Pediatr Genet. 2017 Dec;6(4):252-257. PMID: 29142770.
- Mandelbaum DE, Arsenault A, Stonestreet BS, Kostadinov S, de la Monte SM. Neuroinflammation-Related Encephalopathy in an Infant Born Preterm Following Exposure to Maternal Diabetic Ketoacidosis. J Pediatr. 2018 Mar 16. PMID: 29555093.
- Pinar MH, Gibbins K, He M, Kostadinov S, Silver R. Early Pregnancy Losses: Review of Nomenclature, Histopathology, and Possible Etiologies. Fetal Pediatr Pathol. 2018 May 8:1-19. PMID: 29737906.