Dr. Nathanael G. Bailey is a member of the Division of Hematopathology.
Dr. Bailey is active on the hematopathology service interpreting lymph node and bone marrow biopsies, reviewing blood films and body fluid specimens, interpreting flow cytometric studies, and providing consultative services on outside lymph node and bone marrow biopsy specimens. He additionally has experience interpreting genetic/genomic assays, and he is involved in bringing on new genetic tests for hematolymphoid neoplasms at the University of Pittsburgh.
07/2009-12/2019 American Board of Pathology - Anatomic and Clinical Pathology #09-076
09/2010-12/2020 American Board of Pathology - Hematopathology #S-10-278
09/2011-12/2021 American Board of Pathology and American Board of Medical Genetics - Molecular Genetic Pathology #S-11-090
09/2006-06/2014 State of WV, Medical License
03/2010-01/2017 State of MI, Controlled Substance
03/2010-01/2017 State of MI, Medical License
04/2016-12/2016 State of PA, Medical License
Dr. Bailey's research interests include the molecular pathogenesis of hematolymphoid neoplasms and the translation of these findings into routine patient care. He participated in studies that examined the genomic landscape of splenic marginal zone lymphoma, T-cell prolymphocytic leukemia, and Sézary syndrome. Dr. Bailey has led translational studies regarding the efficacy of immunohistochemical detection of mutant BRAF protein in hairy cell leukemia, and is involved in projects evaluating subclassification of peripheral T-cell lymphoma according to its "cell of origin". In addition, Dr. Bailey has written several book chapters and review articles.
- Lopez, L. V., Marker, D. F., Bailey, N., Liu, Y. C., McGough, R. L., Singhi, A. D., & John, I. (2019). Soft Tissue Fibroblastic Reticular Cell Tumor With Whole-Exome Sequencing Findings: An Unexpected Presentation of Lynch Syndrome. AJSP: Reviews & Reports, 24(6), 288-291.
- Rea B, Aggarwal N, Yatsenko SA, Bailey, N., Liu YC. Acute myeloid leukemia with isolated del(5q) is associated with IDH1/IDH2 mutations and better prognosis when compared to acute myeloid leukemia with complex karyotype including del(5q). Mod Pathol. 2020;33(4):566-575. doi:10.1038/s41379-019-0396-4
- Liu YC, Illar GM, Bailey, N.G. Clinicopathologic characterisation of myeloid neoplasms with concurrent spliceosome mutations and myeloproliferative-neoplasm-associated mutations [published online ahead of print, 2020 Mar 26]. J Clin Pathol. 2020 Nov;73(11):728-736. doi: 10.1136/jclinpath-2020-206495. Epub 2020 Mar 26.
- Murga-Zamalloa C, Rolland DCM, Polk A, Wolfe A, Dewar H, Chowdhury P, Onder O, Dewar R, Brown NA, Bailey, N. G, Inamdar K, Lim MS, Elenitoba-Johnson KSJ, Wilcox RA. Colony-Stimulating Factor 1 Receptor (CSF1R) Activates AKT/mTOR Signaling and Promotes T-Cell Lymphoma Viability. Clin Cancer Res. 2020;26(3):690-703. doi:10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-19-1486
- Rea B, Bailey, N. G. Acute myeloid leukaemia with t(8;16)(p11.2;p13.3) and erythrophagocytosis Br J Haematol. 2020 Jul;190(2):133. doi: 10.1111/bjh.16645. Epub 2020 Apr 8.
- Carlsen E, Bailey, N. G, Aggarwal N, Wild M, Yatsenko SA, Rea B, Liu Y-C. Clinicopathologic characterization of hypocellular acute myeloid leukemia showed fewer genetic abnormalities involving cell proliferation and NPM1 when compared to non-hypocellular acute myeloid leukemia." Am J Clin Pathol 2020 Oct 22:aqaa150. doi: 10.1093/ajcp/aqaa150.
- Barasch NJK, Liu YC, Ho J, Bailey, N., Aggarwal N, Cook JR, Swerdlow SH. The molecular landscape and other distinctive features of primary cutaneous follicle center lymphoma. Hum Pathol. 2020 Dec;106:93-105. doi: 10.1016/j.humpath.2020.09.014. Epub 2020 Oct 9.
- Martinez R, Kang Q, Nennig D, Bailey, N., Brown N, Betz B, Tewari M, Thyagarajan B, Bachanova V, Mroz P. One-step multiplexed droplet digital PCR for quantification of p190 BCR-ABL1 fusion transcript in B lymphoblastic leukemia. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2021 Mar 26. doi: 10.5858/arpa.2020-0454-OA.
- Rea B, Bailey, N.G Additional characterization of LEF1 expression in nodular lymphocyte predominant Hodgkin lymphoma and classic Hodgkin lymphoma. Ann Diagn Pathol 2021 Mar 15;52:151730. doi: 10.1016/j.anndiagpath.2021.151730.
- Martinez RJ, Kang Q, Nennig D, Bailey, N. G, Brown NA, Betz BL, Tewari M, Thyagarajan B, Bachanova V, Mroz P. One-Step Multiplexed Droplet Digital Polymerase Chain Reaction for Quantification of p190 BCR-ABL1 Fusion Transcript in B-Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2021 Mar 26. doi: 10.5858/arpa.2020-0454-OA.
- Yerneni SS, Werner S, Azambuja JH, Ludwig N, Eutsey R, Aggarwal SD, Lucas PC, Bailey, N., Whiteside TL, Campbell PG, Hiller NL. Pneumococcal Extracellular Vesicles Modulate Host Immunity. mBio. 2021 Jul 13:e0165721. doi: 10.1128/mBio.01657-21.