Dr. Yazer is a Professor of Pathology and an Associate Director of the Centralized Transfusion Service. The division provides clinical transfusion support to the UPMC health system hospitals and is actively involved in its Patient Blood Management Program.
Dr. Yazer has general expertise in the area of transfusion medicine with particular clinical and research expertise in blood product utilization in trauma and massive bleeding resuscitation, and in Patient Blood Management.
Education & Training
MD - University of Ottawa, 2000
Residency - Hematological Pathology, University of Alberta, 2004
Dr. Yazer's research interests include blood utilization in trauma, whole blood, antibody titers, and patient blood management. He has received grant funding from the NIH, US DoD.
View Dr. Yazer's NIH RePORT on nih.gov
View Dr. Yazer's publications on PubMed
- Kaplan A, Gabert K, Yazer MH. Unexpectedly Weak Anti-B In Two Group O Pediatric Patients On Parenteral Nutrition And Disease Specific Supplemental Enteral Feeds. Lab Medicine in press.
- Yazer MH, Dunbar NM, Thomas J, Nunes E, Murphy MF. Transfusion Associated Circulatory Overload Risk Mitigation: Survey on Hospital Policies for Compliance with AABB Standard 5.9.17. Transfusion in press.
- Beckman N, Ansah J, Follea G, Yazer MH. International Society for Blood Transfusion international survey on blood product wastage in low and middle income countries. ISBT Science Series in press.
- Yazer MH and Spinella PC. Review of low titer group O whole blood use for massively bleeding patients around the world in 2019. ISBT Science Series in press.
- Adams PW, Warren KA, Guyette FX, Yazer MH, Brown JB, Daily BJ, Miller RS, Herbrecht BG, Claridge JA, Phelan HA, Witham WR, Putnam T, Zuckerbraun BS, Neal MD, Sperry JL and the PAMPer Study Group. Implementation of a Prehospital Air Medical Thawed Plasma Program: Is It Even Feasible? J Trauma Acute Care Surg in press.
- Leeper CM, Yazer MH, Cladis FP, Saladino R, Triulzi DJ, Gaines BA. Cold-Stored Whole Blood Platelet Function Is Preserved In Injured Children With Hemorrhagic Shock. J Trauma Acute Care Surg in press.
- MH Yazer, J Kutner, J McCabe, D O'Donghaile, J Pendergrast, A Treml, S Wendel, M Yan, Z Ye, AP Yokoyama, and CS Cohn on behalf of the Biomedical Excellence for Safer Transfusion (BEST) collaborative. An International Survey of Maximum Surgical Blood Ordering Schedule Creation and Compliance. ISBT Science Series in press.
- Kim J, Gomez-Pastora J, Weigand M, M Potgieter, Walters N, Reategui E, Palmer A, Yazer M, Zborowski M, Chalmers JJ. A subpopulation of monocytes in normal human blood has significant magnetic susceptibility; quantification and potential implications. Cytometry Part A 2019;95:478-487.
- Vicente E, Jackson I, Yazer MH, Spinella P. Agglutination Testing for Human Erythrocyte Product in the Rhesus Macaque. Transfusion 2019;59(S2):1518-1521.
- Thomas K, Shea S, Yazer MH, Spinella PC. Effect of leukoreduction and pathogen reduction on the hemostatic function of whole blood. Transfusion 2019;59(S2):1539-1548.