Dr. Chibisov is a member of the Institute for Transfusion Medicine.
Dr. Chibisov completed training in Clinical Pathology at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center in 2002. She subsequently trained in General Internal Medicine at the University of Pittsburgh, Shadyside Hospital from 2002 to 2005 and went on to complete fellowship in Transfusion Medicine/Blood Banking in the joint program between the University of Pittsburgh and The Institute for Transfusion Medicine.
Following completion of fellowship in June 2006, Dr. Chibisov received her faculty appointment at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Department of Pathology and began her career at the Institute for Transfusion Medicine, Hemostasis and Thrombosis Clinic.
Dr. Chibisov holds board certification in both Internal Medicine and Clinical Pathology and Transfusion Medicine and Blood Banking.
Dr. Chibisov works at the Institute for Transfusion Medicine, Hemostasis and Thrombosis Clinic and Coagulation Laboratory (ITxM Diagnostics now Vilalant). Her primary responsibility are clinical and include patient consultation in thrombophilia and bleeding disorders, interpretation of a complex coagulation profiles and teaching of medical students, residents and fellows. She also covers Centralized Transfusion Services for UPMC Hospitals and Therapeutic Apheresis department.
Dr. Chibisov's research interest is in the area of hemostasis and thrombosis.
- Irina Chibisov, MD, Dabigatran, a New Oral Anticoagulant and Its Role in Clinical Practice. Transfusion Medicine Update, 2011, Issue 1 http://www.itxmdiagnostics.org/coagulationlaboratory/tmu.aspx
- Irina Chibisov, MD Update on Lupus Anticoagulant and Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome. Coagulation Update, 11/2012 http://www.itxmdiagnostics.org/coagulationlaboratory/cu.aspx
- Irina Chibisov, MD Effects Of Anticoagulant Therapy on Hypercoagulable Testing and Other Issues Affecting Results, 1/2012 http://www.itxmdiagnostics.org/coagulationlaboratory/cu.aspx
Major Lectureship and Publications
- Virginia Transfusion Medicine Seminar "New oral anticoagulants and strategies for their reversal", 5/20/2015 - Richmond, VA, 5/21/2015 - Charleston, VA.
- Jansen Seheult, MB BCh BAO, MSc, Pathology Resident, Irina Chibisov, MD, Lupus anticoagulant testing in the era of novel oral anticoagulants: Can the assays be trusted? abstract presented at the Thrombosis and Hemostasis Summit of North America (THSNA) in Chicago, 4/2016
- A Case of Unexplained Cerebral Sinus Thrombosis in a 22-Year-Old Obese Caucasian Woman, Jansen N. Seheult MB, BCh, BAO, MSc, Irina Chibisov MD Lab Med. 2016 Jun 10, http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/labmed/lmw023lmw023
- The effects of indirect- and direct-acting anticoagulants on lupus anticoagulant assays: a large, retrospective study at a coagulation reference laboratory.
Seheult JN, Meyer MP, Bontempo FA, Chibisov I., Am J Clin Pathol. 2017 Jun 1;147(6):632-640. doi: 10.1093/ajcp/aqx035. PMID: 28525532.
Book Chapter Authorship
- Practical Transfusion Medicine, Fifth Edition
Chapter 25: Inherited and acquired coagulation disorders
Irina Chibisov, Franklin Bontempo
May 2017, Wiley-Blackwell