Dr. Bullock is a member of the Division of Hematopathology, a Principal Investigator in the Vascular Medicine Institute, and a faculty member in the Cellular and Molecular Pathology Training Program.
American Board of Pathology - Clinical Pathology & Hematology
Hematopathology, Molecular Hematopathology, Hematopoiesis, Iron Metabolism
Diagnostic Hematopathology, flow cytometry, molecular diagnostics, molecular cytogenetics applied to hematologic diseases and special coagulation laboratory
My research lab is interested in disorders of blood cell production and function in human hematologic diseases with a major focus on the influence of iron deficiency/sequestration on erythropoiesis in a variety of anemias. Current projects are investigating the effects of iron restriction on erythropoietin receptor signaling using a human cell culture based model of iron deficiency anemia and mouse models of anemia. Using these model systems, we are investigating how iron deficiency suppresses red blood cell production and increases platelet production. We have found evidence that supports an iron-dependent, molecular signaling pathway that involves aconitase enzymes, PKC, ERK, AKT and the distal portion of the erythropoietin receptor. We are investigating the molecular mechanisms of iron sensing by the mitochondria in early erythroid progenitor cells and how this iron sensor affects cell fate and erythropoietin-dependent erythropoiesis. A second related area of interest is the role of mitochondrial metabolism in erythropoiesis and megakaryopoiesis. Recently, through several collaborations within the Vascular Medicine Institute, we are investigating the role of specific erythrocyte membrane proteins in the regulation of cell shape, stability and life-span during sickle cell disease and red blood cell storage. The long-term goals of the laboratory are to understand how intrinsic and extrinsic factors regulate red blood cell production and survival in patients with anemia and use this knowledge to improve therapy for these patients.
View Dr. Bullock's publications on PubMed
- Lendermon E., Dodd-o, J.M., Coon, T., Xinganm, W., Cardenes,m N., Heusey, H., Sundd, P., Bullock, G., Popescu, I., Guo, L., O'Donnell, C., Rojas, M., McDyer, J., "Azithromycin fails to prevent accelerated airway obliteration in T-bet-/-Mouse lung allograft recipients." Transplantation Proceedings, 50, 1566-1574 (2018). PMID: 29880387 DOI: 10.1016j.transproceed.2018.02.070
- Shadi Khalil, Lorrie Delehanty, Stephen Grado, Maja Holy, Ryo Kurita, Yukio Nakamura, Grant Bullock, Adam Goldfarb. Manuscript 20170396, entitled "Iron modulation of erythropoiesis is associated with Scribble control of the erythropoietin receptor. J. Exp. Med. 2018:215(2):6661-679. DOI:10.1084/jem.20170396
- Qayyum S, Bullock GC, Swerdlow SH, Nikiforova M, Aggarwal N. Diagnostic utility of isolated tube C positivity in T-cell receptor Beta testing using BIOMED- 2 primers. American Journal of Clinical Pathology. American Journal of Clinical Pathology, Volume 151, Issue 4, April 2019, Pages 386-394, https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcp/aqy157
- Gbotosho OT, Ghosh S, Kapetanaki MG, Lin Y, Weidert F, Bullock GC, Ofori-Acquah SF, Kato GJ.Cardiac expression of HMOX1 and PGF in sickle cell mice and haem- treated wild type mice dominates organ expression profiles via Nrf2 (Nfe2l2). Br J Haematol. 2019 Dec;187(5):666-675. doi: 10.1111/bjh.16129. Epub 2019 Aug 6. PMID: 31389006.
- Gbotosho OT, Kapetanaki MG, Ross M, Ghosh S, Weidert F, Bullock GC, Watkins S, Ofori- Acquah SF, Kato GJ. Nrf2 deficiency in mice attenuates erythropoietic stress-related macrophage hypercellularity. Exp Hematol. 2020 Apr;84:19-28.e4. doi:10.1016/j.exphem.2020.02.005. Epub 2020 Mar 6. PMID: 32151553
- Sathish Babu Vasamsetti, Emilie Coppin, Xinyi Zhang, Jonathan Florentin, Sasha Koul, Matthias Götberg, Andrew S. Clugston, Floyd Thoma, John Sembrat, Grant C. Bullock, Dennis Kostka, Claudette M. St. Croix, Ansuman Chattopadhyay, Mauricio Rojas, Suresh Mulukutla, Partha Dutta. Apoptosis of hematopoietic progenitor-derived adipose tissue resident macrophages contributes to insulin resistance after myocardial infarction. Science Translational Medicine. Accepted 07/01/2020, 2020, Manuscript Number: aav8878.
- Jonathin Florentin, Jingsi Zhao, Yi-Yin Tai, Sathish Babu Vasamsetti, Scott O'Neil, Rahul Kumar, Anagha Arunkumar, Annie Watson, John Sembrat, Grant C. Bullock, Linda Sanders, Biruk Kassa, Mauricio Rojas, Brian Graham, Stephen Y. Chan and Partha Dutta. Interleukin-6 mediates neutrophil mobilization from bone marrow in pulmonary hypertension. Cellular & Molecular Immunology. Accepted 11/21/2020, Manuscript ID: CMI-2020-0226R
- Silverman LM, Bullock GC. Essential Concepts in Molecular Pathology. Ed. W.B. Coleman and G.J. Tsongalis. Chapter 29 Molecular Diagnosis of Human Disease. Elsivier, New York, 2010. ISBN: 9780123744180.
- Silverman LM, Bullock GC. Molecular Pathology: The Molecular Basis of Human Disease. Ed. W.B. Coleman and G.J. Tsongalis. Chapter 28: Molecular Diagnosis of Human Disease. Elsevier, New York, 2009. ISBN: 9780123744197.