Dr. Ma is a member of the Division of Experimental Pathology.
Dongzhu Ma's is interested in the study of the HIV/SIV diversity and pathogenesis. The AIDS pandemic is produced by two different viruses, HIV-1 and HIV-2 that emerged following cross-species transmissions of SIVs, the viruses that naturally infect nonhuman primate species (NHPs) in Africa. Our studies suggested that viral adaptation in the new host may play a decisive role for the emergence on new virus strains. Dongzhu Ma's current projects are focused on using nonhuman primate models to address issues of simian immunodeficiency virus diversity and pathogenesis in natural hosts and upon cross-species transmission. These studies may help us to control HIV infection in patients and AIDS pandemic.
- Ma D, Shanks RMQ, Davis CM 3rd, Craft DW, Wood TK, Hamlin BR, Urish KL. Viable bacteria persist on antibiotic spacers following two-stage revision for periprosthetic joint infection. J Orthop Res. 2018 Jan 36 (1):452-458. PMID:28543707
- Brocca-Cofano E, Xu C, Wetzel KS, Cottrell ML, Policicchio BB, Raehtz KD, Ma D, Dunsmore T, Haret-Richter GS, Musaitif K, Keele BF, Kashuba AD, Collman RG, Pandrea I, Apetrei C. Marginal Effects of Systemic CCR5 Blockade with Maraviroc on Oral Simian Immunodeficiency Virus Transmission to Infant Macaques. J Virol. 2018 Aug 16;92(17). PMID: 29925666
- Mandell JB, Orr S, Koch J, Nourie B, Ma D, Bonar DD, Shah N, Urish KL. Large variations in clinical antibiotic activity against Staphylococcus aureus biofilms of periprosthetic joint infection isolates. J Orthop Res. 2019 Jul;37(7):1604-1609. PMID: 30919513
- Ma D, Mandell JB, Donegan NP, Cheung AL, Ma W, Rothenberger S, Shanks R, Richardson AR, Urish KL. The Toxin-Antitoxin MazEF Drives Staphylococcus aureus Biofilm Formation, Antibiotic Tolerance, and Chronic Infection. mBio. 2019 Nov 26;10(6): e01658-19. PMID: 31772059
- Barrenäs F, Raehtz K, Xu A, Law L, Green R, Silvestri G, Bosinger S, Nishida A, Li Q, Lu W, Zhang J, Thomas M, Chang J, Smith E, Weiss J, Dawoud R, Richter G, Trichel A, Ma D, Peng X, Komorowski J, Apetrei C, Pandrea I, and Gale M. Macrophage associated wound healing contributes to African Green Monkey SIV pathogenesis control. Nature Communications. 2019 Nov 8;10(1):5101. PMID: 31704931
- Raehtz K, Barrenäs F, Xu C, Busman-Sahay K, Valentine A, Law L, Ma D, Policicchio B, Wijewardana V, Brocca-Cofano E, Trichel A, Gale JM, Keele B, Estes J, Apetrei C, Pandrea I. African green monkeys avoid SIV disease progression by preventing intestinal dysfunction and maintaining mucosal barrier integrity. PLoS Pathog. 2020 Mar 2;16(3): e1008333. PMID: 32119719
- Jasinska A, Dong T, Lagishetty V, Katzka W, Jacobs J, Schmitt C, Cramer JD, Ma D, Coetzer W, Grobler JP, Turner T, Freimer N, Pandrea I, Apetrei C. Shifts in microbial diversity, composition, and functionality in the gut and genital microbiome during a natural SIV infection in vervet monkeys. Microbiome. 2020 Nov 6;8(1):154. PMID: 33158452
- Budge M, Koch J, Mandell J, Cappellini A, Orr S, Patel S, Ma D, Nourie O, Brothers K, and Urish KL. The In Vitro Efficacy of Doxycycline over Vancomycin and Penicillin in the Elimination of Cutibacterium Acnes Biofilm. ASTM International. 2020, 53-64.
- Ma D, Brothers KM, Maher PL, Phillips NJ, Simonetti D, William Pasculle A, Richardson AR, Cooper VS, Urish KL. Staphylococcus aureus genotype variation among and within periprosthetic joint infections. J Orthop Res. 2021 Mar 13. PMID: 33713379
- Qi XY, Ma D, Brothers KM, Mandell JB, Urish KL. The Staphylococcus aureus Toxin-Antitoxin system YefM-YoeB is associated with antibiotic tolerance and extracellular dependent biofilm formation. J Bone Jt Infect. 2021 Jul 2;6(7):241-253. PMID: 34262845